Residence and Work Permits

WHAT IS UDI? The Directorate of Immigration (UDI in Norwegian) handles work permits.
WHAT IS UDI? The Directorate of Immigration (UDI in Norwegian) handles work permits.

Permits are some of those necessary hoops you just have to jump through. Here are a couple of key things you need to know about them – and where to learn more.

What do you need to work here?

A residence permit

To make a long story short right off the bat: If you want to move here for work, you need a residence permit. And to get a residence permit, you normally need a job. Simple, right?

The actual processes and permits differ depending on whether you are a Nordic citizen, a citizen from the EU/EEA – or from a country outside the EU/EEA.

If you are from a country inside the EU/EEA, you are automatically permitted to work in Norway, due to the Schengen Agreement.

Relevant links

  • Work in Norway guide
    In either case, a good place to start would be the official Work in Norway guide.
  • Application portal
    The Norwegian Directorate for Immigration (UDI) also has a neat Application Portal that helps you through the process and necessary documents.
  • UDI resource for skilled workers
    Do also make sure to check out this UDI resource made for skilled workers.
  • Service Center for Foreign Workers
    And of course, the Service Center for Foreign Workers, SUA, is a public service set up solely for the purpose of helping you and your employer to get ready for working.

An identification number

You need an id-number to get access to basic services such as bank accounts and loans, and for your employer to register you as an employee.

What you need depends on whether you plan to stay for more than 6 months or not.

Information on ID numbers

To work here, you also need a tax deduction card, among other things – which you can read about in the links above.